Monday, September 26, 2011

I'm sorry, but I still won't watch 27 Dresses with you.

In The New Yorker, Mindy Kaling professes her love for romantic comedies:

"I regard romantic comedies as a subgenre of sci-fi, in which the world operates according to different rules than my regular human world. For me, there is no difference between Ripley from “Alien” and any Katherine Heigl character. They are equally implausible. They’re all participating in a similar level of fakey razzle-dazzle, and I enjoy every second of it."

That's the best argument I've heard in favor of romantic comedies, although it doesn't change how painful watching How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days was. Kaling then proceeds to take down all the rom-com stock characters, from The Ethereal Weirdo (aka Manic Pixie Dream Girl) to The Woman Who Works in an Art Gallery. Read the rest of "Flick Chicks."

No comments :

Post a Comment