Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Godawful Advertising

Adam Frucci and Halle Kiefer of Splitsider just posted a conversation about the upcoming sitcom "Whitney" and its advertising, which has been plastered all over New York.

Every time I see the "Whoever invented morning sex forgot about morning breath," ad at a bus stop (paraphrased, but does it really matter in this case?), I get angry at the unfunniness. I think it's because I'm clearly their target audience, and I've heard good things about Whitney Cummings' stand up, but this is such a lazy "amirite, ladies?" joke. I can imagine old men in the NBC offices thinking that this is a great pitch. Youth culture!

Lucky for me, I've seen fewer of the (still) unfunny "bitches won't shut up" ads. As Kiefer put it:

Halle: I think it's weird that a show with a female protagonist has an ad campaign which has numerous jokes about women being awful.


and this: "That's what you get for forming a relationship with me! I will use my brain and face to make sounds that you hate!" That's an actual joke from the show?

The article is worth the read, and I laughed out loud at this exchange:

Adam: Well, she has said that the show will be edgy and boundary-pushing and that's why we should be on board with the laugh track and multicam setup. But I get the impression that just saying "morning sex" on a billboard is edgy for NBC.
Halle: Well, we know she wears a sexy nurse outfit in the pilot.
Adam: CAN YOU DO THAT ON TELEVISION??
Halle: That's what a time traveler from 1952 would scream at the wall of TVs at Best Buy
Adam: WHO LET THESE WOMEN SPEAK WITHOUT FIRST BEING SPOKEN TO?

No comments :

Post a Comment